Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Resurfacing pine floors

On May 14, 4:35*pm, Red Green wrote:
BuckK wrote in news:29d5c17c-a0a8-4fda-9314-
:

Greetings,
I have about 400 sq feet that I'd like to strip and re-poly. *The high
traffic areas are down to bare wood.

First, I can rent both a vibrating square sander and an orbital buffer
with sandpaper. *Which is best?

I used the square one that has the four circular pads. Extremely easy to
handle. Doesn't tear up the floor. Gets very close to edges and in
corners. Only required a palm sander to finish up. Put down poly with a
lambs wool pad on a pole. Goes fast which means it all flows nicely with
no lines or bubbles.

Second, will I have to evacuate the house for a few days when I re-
poly due to smell/ fumes?

BTW, I looked at having a professional strip the floor for me - it'll
be about $320. *I can rent a sander + paper for about $120. *If
there's anyone in Southern Maine you can recommend for around $200
I'll gladly call. *I'll poly it myself...

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

I used to date a girl who refinished the wood floors in her old
victorian farmhouse. The floors were yellow pine and it was a fairly
large two story house. She did all the work herself. Pretty impressive
for someone about 5'2" and weighed about 105lbs.

Jimmie