Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Pioneer plasma turns off: update

On Sat, 9 May 2009 22:50:11 -0700, DaveC put
finger to keyboard and composed:

In case you haven't noticed it, at
http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...-v401e-plasma-
display
there is an offer of a manual for this thing for sale, $7.50.

Thanks for the pointer. But this is just a "technical manual", not service
(ie, repair) manual. Contains installation (including mounting on a stand),
picture adjustments, etc.. Nothing re. module or component troubleshooting.

This site is not alone; most of the sites with plasma manuals have this one,
and they all describe is as "service manual". I ask for a peek at the table
of contents before paying, and so far have come up with no service manual.

Thanks for the other ideas. I'll see how they pan out.

The manual you have is probably this one:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...V401_tm_V2.PDF

FWIW, Pioneer's part number for that manual appears to be ARP2981.

Here is a collection of Pioneer service notes:
http://getmanual.ru/tv/sb/pioneer.pdf

I suspect that you may have a power sequencing issue.

FWIW, here is an ECO (Jan 25, 2001) that describes such an issue (page
227).

SYMPTOM 1 PDP repeats turning on and off.

CAUSE 1 Power circuit will be reset because the secondary circuit
rarely works before the primary circuit works normally when the power
turns on.

SERVICE Change of two resistors in Main Power Assy; AWR1077.

Ref CURRENT PARTS CO NEW PARTS
* # SYMBOL/DESCRIPTION PART NUMBER DE PART NUMBER SYMBOL/DESCRIPTION
A 1 R3107 RD1/2PM473J RD1PM153J R3107
A 1 R3108 RD1/2PM563J RD1PM153J

It appears that the above ECO calls for changing R3107 from 47K 1/2W
to 15K 1W, and R3108 from 56K 1/2W to 15K 1W.

FWIW, the service manual for the PDP-502MX has a section (page 58)
that talks about power sequencing:
http://www.go-gddq.com/upload/2009_0...2211238438.pdf

- Franc Zabkar