Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default stupid question time here

TheOldFellow wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2009 14:41:23 +0100
"Anode" notvalid wrote:

When using 2.5mm twin-and-earth cable, and where two wires go into one
terminal on the back of a socket, should the two bare wire ends be twisted
together?

Copper 'work-hardens' which means that if you bend it about it gets
harder and more brittle. I'd worry that if you twist 2.5mm wire it
would work-harden to the point that it may fracture when clamped rather
than deforming properly. Lighter gauge may well tolerate it better,
the CPC is usually significantly lighter gauge.

I never twist them, and have never had a problem. You only need three
hands if you didn't leave enough of a tail.

If you can't twist them, then why does this problem of work hardening
come about when they are not twisted in a screwed terminatator?

Dave