Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default lawn sprinkler system

trailer wrote:
I'm currently considering a lawn sprinkler system for my front (only) yard.
I would have this installed through a lawn sprinkler company.

Since I've never had a lawn sprinkler system, I was wondering about the
advantages/disadvantages of installing and using one.

Currently, I just use the regular type sprinklers (using hoses) to water my
yard. I would expect that an underground sprinkler system would provide a
better way of covering my yard.

Would a sprinkler system save me money and use less water? The quoted cost
for installed system is well above $2K from a respected company.

I live in northern Texas.

The first time you water without dragging out hoses, you likely will
decide it was worth it. You might save water, but you can also save
water with proper mowing. Mow too short, lawn dries out much faster.
Water early morning (some lawns get fungus problems if wet all night).
Water deeply enough, rather than more often using less water -
encourages deeper root growth and takes longer to dry out.
Rocky soil, or easy to dig?

There are good websites, Jess Stryker's being the best I have seen. He
goes into great detail, explaining all the considerations. He gives
some product advice. Lots of stuff to consider before going ahead -
well water or municipal? Pressure. Area to cover. Is the landscaping
finished or a work in progress? Don't want to spend $2k and then plant
a tree that will block some sprinklers (makes for strips of brown, dried
grass in the lawn).

Toro and others will design the layout for you:
http://www.torodesign.com/iguide2/printable_pages.html