Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default Cleaning vents

My lovely wife wants the vents in our house cleaned.

Removing the register covers is not a problem. The stackhead or
register box in the walls have an adjustable slide door to control the
flow. Oval 5" ducts in the walls transition to 5" round in the
basement. Two story house with all supply vents on the outside walls.

I could easily disconnect the ducts in the basement and rig up a way
to connect my shop-vac in the basement to each duct. This would
probably be eaiser than trying to seal all the vents and vaccum from
the main trunk or furnace.

Question: Waht kind of tool do I need to clean the vents?

When I questioned a guy about doing this he said he would run a thin
hose through the grills and used high-pressure air to blast the dust
loose and connected a 'recovery vaccum' in the basement.

This tool is a long shot but I am sure someobody has a better idea.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...1VGA&Submit=Go

10' is long enough to get me to the basement but this thing is flimsy
and I doubt would do much.