Posted to alt.home.repair
BuckK BuckK is offline

Default Resurfacing pine floors

On May 14, 7:13*am, ransley wrote:
On May 13, 6:51*pm, BuckK wrote:

Greetings,
I have about 400 sq feet that I'd like to strip and re-poly. *The high
traffic areas are down to bare wood.

First, I can rent both a vibrating square sander and an orbital buffer
with sandpaper. *Which is best?

Second, will I have to evacuate the house for a few days when I re-
poly due to smell/ fumes?

BTW, I looked at having a professional strip the floor for me - it'll
be about $320. *I can rent a sander + paper for about $120. *If
there's anyone in Southern Maine you can recommend for around $200
I'll gladly call. *I'll poly it myself...

Thanks!

A pro would use a drum sander, I think it will take forever with a pad
or orbital, those are for sanding inbetween coats. 320 is cheap for 3
coats. Pine is porus, what will the first coat take 2-3 gallons? and 4
more for 2 coats?, screening inbetween? *120 buffer-sander, 7 gallons
at 30$ gal, thinner, tack cloths, rags, gas, maybe 250$ plus 120 is
370.00. A water base gloss wont smell bad but you need Low humidity to
cure both quickly and seeing how I dont think you have done this
before you should hire a pro this time.- Hide quoted text -

That's $320 to sand the floor only. I'll poly it myself. That'll put
me over $500 for the whole project. Thanks, but I think I'll do it
myself.