Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Resurfacing pine floors

"BuckK" wrote in message
Greetings,
I have about 400 sq feet that I'd like to strip and re-poly. The high
traffic areas are down to bare wood.

First, I can rent both a vibrating square sander and an orbital buffer
with sandpaper. Which is best?

Second, will I have to evacuate the house for a few days when I re-
poly due to smell/ fumes?

BTW, I looked at having a professional strip the floor for me - it'll
be about $320. I can rent a sander + paper for about $120. If
there's anyone in Southern Maine you can recommend for around $200
I'll gladly call. I'll poly it myself...

Thanks!

*Pay the $320.00. You will need more than one type of machine to get into
close quarters and corners. I have usually seen a drum sander as the primary
tool. I had pine floors done many years ago and considered doing it myself.
After I saw the crew do it I was glad that I paid the money. There are
water based finishes that dry in a hour or two and have no smell. The odor
won't be so bad for poly, but the inconvenience of not being able to use the
floor for several days will be.