Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Should I get a 3 jaw chuck or a 4 jaw chuck for my dividing head?

On May 14, 8:48*am, Charles U Farley wrote:

Time spent indicating work in a four jaw chuck on a dividing head will be
quite a bit longer than on a lathe. *40:1 turns ratio makes for 20 handle
turns every time you adjust a jaw and check with an indicator. *Repeat a
few, maybe three times for jaws one and three, three more for jaws two and
four.

Couldn't you use one of those indicator holders that mount on the mill
spindle, and first indicate on the chuck body. So you get the spindle
directly over the dividing head center of rotation.

And then indicate on the part so you get the part centered.

That would be twice the number of times one has to indicate, so twice
the chance for error. But I would think one would usually need to
get the mill spindle directly in line with the center of the dividing
head anyway at some point.

Well I think that would work when using the dividing head horizontal.
Or you could center with the head horizontal and then rotate it to
vertical.

Dan