Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Should I get a 3 jaw chuck or a 4 jaw chuck for my dividing head?

On May 14, 1:29*am, "Steve R." wrote:
"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

How about an adapter so you can use your lathe chucks?
Ned Simmons

Exactly what I made to use my rotary table as a dividing head.
Steve R.

Mine arrived yesterday. It looks well made and turns smoothly without
roughness or tight spots, but a neighbor needed help cutting up and
hauling some trees so I didn't get to check it out further.

I previously made a 1-1/2 - 8 adapter to hold a Jacobs 58B lathe chuck
in a 1" 5C collet. I think I could make back plates for borrowed lathe
chucks and center the work on it in the lathe first. As others have
noted, centering in a 40 turn indexer is very slow and tedious. I made
a non-plunger handle for my small rotary table to speed it up some.

The center taper is Morse 2, not B&S 7.

The Jacobs lathe chuck looked too good to pass up but I haven't found
much use for it. I leave a 1/2" chuck on the 1/2-20 spindle of my
small lathe to use for polishing, since the jaws aren't as dangerous.

jsw