Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Restaurant cooler repair

Last couple days, I've had the chance to work on a reach in
cooler, at a restaurant. Under a counter. The old guy who
runs the place says it needs freon every six months. The
aluminum evaporator gets wet, and probably has a lot of
pinhole leaks. I checked all the fittings, and find no leaks
at fittings or braze joints. Metering device is TXV, and the
system has a receiver.

The system is probably 30 plus years old. The evaporator is
above the compressor. About 8 inches higher, and maybe six
feet to the side.

Since the evaportator his higher, perhaps oil return isn't
an issue. Since it runs off a TXV, maybe it will adjust to
the lower heat capacity of 134a. Has anyone else tried such
a conversion? I'd much rather be feeding it 134a, compared
to some other gas or blend.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus