Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Verdict in: electric cars more efficient that biofuel-powered

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article , dpb wrote:

higher cost. That is, if ranges are only 50-60 miles for electric
vehicles but it's 200 miles to the nearest large airport, needless to
say it isn't going to be a choice to take that to go catch a plane if
have to stop 3-4 times on the way for recharging. (And, no, that's not
made up; that's reality here in round numbers--it's 180+ to Amarillo,
210+/- to Wichita)

--

You don't have to go that far. Quite a few people I know drive from
Cincinnati to Indy because Indy is so much cheaper (another indication

Or maybe not...does Indy subsidize AirTran or another discount carrier
to get that? Wichita does, for example, to the tune of $1M/yr or more.
As a consequence, since they started the other carriers' fares have
come down significantly.

As for the distance, there is no other airport of any size between here
and those places. Even w/ the above subsidies, Amarillo generally is
still cheaper but they may also be subsidizing somebody there; that I
don't know.

But, air fares etc., weren't the point; simply an example of one reason
that electric isn't _necessarily_ the answer even if the study of the
post were fair and unbiased (which I still doubt given such a large
disparity I still think there's at least one or more factors not being
accounted for).

The success of the producers here in converting to enough biodiesel to
run their operation from the production of roughly 1/8-th their acreage
satisfies me the net benefit is pretty good irrespective of any other
study. Of course, there's another whole market area of heavy equipment,
stationary equipment, trucks, etc., that electric isn't going to touch
(other than perhaps diesel-electric like locomotives) any time soon.