Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y
Leonard Caillouet Leonard Caillouet is offline

Default Bit of a con, really ... ?

"Bob Larter" wrote in message
Leonard Caillouet wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

As to whether LEDs as backlights do a good job, I'm sure that they must
be at least as good as CCFLs at colour rendering, otherwise, the
manufacturers wouldn't be making such a thing about it. Flesh tones look
perfectly fine on digital cameras which use LED backlit displays.

Looking perfectly fine is a very subjective assessment. It is fine for
most people, but you simply cannot assume that either technology will be
better or worse. It depends on many factors. Assumptions usually bite
you in the ass. You should know that by now, Arfa.

Me, if I want to know that my screen is rendering colour correctly, I
stick my Colorvision Spyder to it & measure it. That way, I know for sure.

Your Spyder will not give accurate results on narrow spectrum devices like
LED backlit displays, or even some LCDs with CCFLs or DLP and LCOS displays.
It depends greatly on the relation of the filters in your colorimeter to the
filters in the display, and the spectrum of the source. To accurately
measure many of the newer displays like the LED lit and the new laser based
DLP sets, you really need a spectrophotometer with very fine resolution,
preferably in the 1 nM range. Tristimulus colorimeters like the spyder and
all of the Sencore probes are rapidly becoming less useful.

Leonard