Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve R.[_3_] Steve R.[_3_] is offline

Default Soft Soldering Stainless Steel

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
You can probably solder some small stainless steel parts with a soldering
iron, Ray, if you can get enough heat to transfer into the workpiece(s).

Harris Stay-Brite #8 silver bearing solder is a low temp (melt 430/flow
530F) solder that can be used on stainless.
The #8 formula is lead-free, tin plus 5-6% silver by weight (about $53/lb
last year, 1/16" dia)
Harris Stay-Clean liquid flux (zinc chloride/hydrochloric acid) will work
on most metals, including stainless, except it's not recommended for
aluminum (or electrical/electronic applications).

You probably realize that typically, stainless alloys don't conduct heat
very well, and soft solders generally aren't exceptionally strong. I
suppose that there would be some strength information on the Harris
website.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Ray Field" wrote in message
newsV7Ol.26547$Db2.12029@edtnps83...
Is it possible? Preferably using an iron rather than a torch. What flux
and solder work best.
This is for small repair work on cast-off medical equipment being
salvaged for third world countries.
All help appreciated.
Ray

Way back when I serviced restaurant equipment, I used Staybright on
stainless. It was strong enough, and food safe.

Steve R.