Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Soft Soldering Stainless Steel

On May 12, 4:49*pm, Doug White wrote:
"Chas" wrote :

There are proprietary fluxes available for stainless steel, but most
people I know use phosphoric acid. *I think 50/50 solder is the go,
but someone else may have a more detailed experience than I have.

I've used regular tin/lead electronics solder on stainless steel RF
connectors. *We used a special stainless steel flux, but I don't recall the
brand. *It was watery, and spit a lot when hit with the iron. *The
resulting splashes rusted every bit of plain steel they hit, and the whole
process tended to eat soldering iron tips fairly rapidly.

All nickel alloys (including stainless steel) need an acid flux.
Once tinned, you can reflow the solder with milder fluxes
to join to other parts.