Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Fence Rails: 2 or 3?

On Mon, 11 May 2009 15:14:40 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On May 11, 6:02*pm, mm wrote:

With a rail fence, three rails will each bear as much load as the two
rails would,

Each? Not quite - each rail in a three rail fence will only have to
take 2/3 of the load on a rail in a two rail fence.

A rail fence, meaning one with no pickets, just rails. I was
referring to wind load, that I think someone in another post referred
to, and it's the only load the rails have anyhow.

and the load on the posts will be 50% higher.

The only difference is the weight of the rail and the additional
fasteners. Not sure where you get the load difference numbers.

Wind. Some hurricane was mentioned.

But it's interesting that mook assumed a privacy fence, and I was
thinking about a 4 foot rail fence never did give an adequate
descriptin of the fence. He has to learn to ask questions well.