Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Ironwood

On Tue, 12 May 2009 18:22:39 -0400, "Kevin Cleary" wrote:

I got some desert ironwood from friends who spend the winters in Arizona.We
don't see much of that here in Maine.
Any thing anyone can tell me about this wood would be helpful.
Kevin

Mostly, be prepared for a mess... It's a wonderful wood once you get it
polished, but you're going to cover your lathe with brown or black dust..

Like all turning, sharp tools and light touch are important..
Watch for cracks/fissures and expect it to come apart on you... It might not,
but IMO it's better to be ready..

I'm guessing that since it's from AZ, it's not a large heavy piece?
The first 2 problems if it's in it's natural state are sand (sometimes
impregnated) and stones.. Check it well..
If it's small enough to cut on the bandsaw it will work fine until the blade
dulls.. cuts pretty normally..
If you have to use a chainsaw, good luck!
D. I. loves to dull chains..

Once you get it on the lathe, turn pretty much like any other wood, being very
aware of tools dulling..
Even if you're getting nice shavings, most D.I. will also throw out lots of
gritty dust, so us a DC and mask..

The difference comes when you're in the final stages... Scrapers work well but
can be touchy, it's the only wood that I take the burr off of my scraper for..

Sanding is sort of backwards... Speed/heat/pressure not only don't hurt it but
seem to work best to get a glass-like finish..
It's not going to absorb a finish, so I wouldn't try..
I sand to 400 and buff with the Beall system and the finish is amazing..
(looks like it's sanded to 1,000 or more)

Let me know if I can help!

mac

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing