Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fence Rails: 2 or 3?

On Tue 12 May 2009 06:23:17a, HeyBub told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Yeah, the vertical posts. Best I could tell (from 200' away) they
were the standard 4x4s. The laterals were 2x4s, but it didn't make
any difference. The wind snapped the vertical posts at ground level.

Truth be told, I suspect the posts were more than fifteen years old,
mostly rotted, and required only a puff to tumble them over. Of
course galvanized metal posts set in concrete don't rot, so...

Yes, they probably had some rot damage. Our pressure-treated 4x4's
are set in concrete and we live in the desert, so any type of wet rot
would probably not happen. BTW, how do you attach a wooden fence
(I'm assuming something like a stockade fence) to metal posts?
Curious. Thanks...

Several ways.

Our fence has holes drilled through the posts with 6" lag bolts attaching
the post to the rails.

You can also get clamps that fit around the post and are screwed to the
horizontal rails.

Thank you!

--
Wayne Boatwright
An empty belly is the best cook. ~Estonian Proverb