Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default telescoping aluminum pole?

On May 12, 9:00*am, Frnak McKenney
wrote:
Jim,
Did you do this, that is, install the gutters, from scratch?? Or just
replace... er, re-hang existing gutters?

I installed new ones after reshingling, planning from the start to
clean them from the ground. Several areas around my house aren't
suitable for a ladder. Even where the ground is relatively level I
rope the ladder to trees or the car so it can't slip sideways. The
rope runs over pulleys at the to down to mountaineering ascenders,
which make moving the ladder sideways simple.
http://www.cmi-gear.com/catalog/ascenders/small.asp

I also fixed up a weighted brush and pulley rig to clean the chimney
from the ground and made the tv antenna mast telescope to lower the
antenna for repairs. Right now my HDTV antenna is two salvaged 6"
aluminum standoffs stuck in the ends of plastic hose, a repair to an
old Radio Shack UHF antenna. After the transition I'll tune it to the
highest local station's frequency.

... The scoop is a Home Depot 'Gutter Getter", which they don't
seem to carry now, bolted crosswise to the end of the pole with a
diagonal brace to the handle of the scoop.

Okay. Once you've eliminated the barriers, and set the ladder up once,
your only limitation would seem to be the length of pole you can work
with while balanced on the ladder. Heck, with those logjam hangers
out of the way, my Looj might even work.

... The top section of pole is
a wooden broomstick since the wires hang close to the gutter.

My telephone and fiber cables are in the way on one run, but after
re-reading I realized that you're probably talking about _power_
lines. Ack!

If you had a Trained Assistant runing below with a large bucket, you
could replace the scoop with a "tilted wedge" shaped to the gutter
that would get under the sludge and firce it up and over. Hm. Guess
you'd need two so you could work both ways from the ladder.

No ladder. The pool pole reaches from the ground. The gutter supports
the weight and steadies it so I only have to slide the scoop along
until it jams, then lift to spill the load over the edge. Naturally I
don't stand directly underneath.

(It's a lot more fun to design something for someone _else_; you don't
*have to deal with the inevitable Unforseen Consequences. grin!)

The downspouts are screwed to and supported by wall brackets at the
lower end only so they are simple to remove from the ground when they
clog at the top. I had to loosen the fit at the tee to make them go
back on easily enough.

Ah! That leaves the lower bracket supporting the entire weight of the
downspout; not a problem?

The lower end of the 10' section is within reach from a stepstool. The
piece below it is well supported.

Frank

With only a few small exceptions this was or could have been done with
hand tools. I made replacement antenna fittings and the antenna and
chimney brush pulley assemblies from stainless steel on a metal lathe
but commercial hardware would have worked.

jsw