Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing washers on monoblock mixer tap

Roger Mills wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
John wrote:

Why recommend an "Adjustable" when a proper ring spanner would be
far better. An engineer wouldn't use an adjustable so why do people
use them for plumbing tasks when there is a perfectly good
hexagon?? A sharp whack on the spanner (in the right direction) would
probably get it moving.

I totally agree!

Also, unless I'm mistaken, the picture of the tap - still with its
operating lever in place on the other side - suggests to me that
it's a quarter-turn tap with a ceramic cartridge inside, rather
than a multi-turn tap with a conventional washer. If I'm right, the
OP will need a new cartridge - not a new washer.

Disagree about the spanner, agree about the cartridge.

I agree that different taps may require different spanner sizes - but
I would have expected a 'Handyman' to have a full set of ring
spanners - I certainly have for DIY/car maintenance use.

I have a full set of ring spanners - in the garage. Most head gears fall
between metric sizes IME.

The thing about a ring spanner is that it's far less likely to slip -
and mangle the corners - than an adjustable is - specially when you
need to hit it with a hammer.

Unless you have one of these
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

--