Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_2_] Ecnerwal[_2_] is offline

Default Soft Soldering Stainless Steel

In article DV7Ol.26547$Db2.12029@edtnps83,
"Ray Field" wrote:

Is it possible? Preferably using an iron rather than a torch. What flux and
solder work best.
This is for small repair work on cast-off medical equipment being salvaged
for third world countries.
All help appreciated.
Ray

It's certainly possible. You need a good flux, and aggressive cleaning.
Most of my experience is with torch, not iron, and there's some benefit
since the torch (with a long carburizing flame) can provide some
protection against further oxidation. OTOH I guess you could set up a
nitrogen glove box if you were doing a lot of work, and that would help.
But an adequate coating of flux will work without that level of fuss.

Either an olde-fashioned zinc dichloride flux or something specific to
stainless like Eutetic Castolin 157 (if my memory is not shot, and they
still sell the same stuff decades later). Anything that works for flux
on stainless will need to be cleaned off carefully after use, as it has
to be fairly aggressive to work at all.

95-5 tin-antimony is a good choice for solder, lead free, food safe, not
as wimpy as the typical lead free plumbing solders mostly are.