Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Annoying garage door opener problem

Mike wrote:
I have an old Craftsman chain-drive garage door opener. It was there
when I bought the house, it's gotta be at least 20 years old, but it
works well (noisy as all get out). Anyhow, there are light bulb
sockets on both sides of it. The light bulbs are supposed to come on
when the door is being opened or closed. They used to work. Now,
they come on for a couple seconds, then go off, then flicker a bit,
then come on, then go out, etc. I jiggled the bulbs in the sockets a
bit and they stayed on for a while, but then resume the erratic
performance. One might guess that the bulbs might be coming loose in
the socket from the movement of the garage door, but that is not the
case. The bulbs remain snugly in the socket. In fact, they work a
little better (i.e. stay on a little longer before starting the off-on
stuff) if I unscrew them slightly.

Thanks for any advice....oh, I don't want to replace the opener, so
please don't suggest that!

Mike

It could be the contact tab in the center of
the socket. Quite often all that is needed is
to cut the power, reach into the socket with
your index finger and catch the end of the tab
with your fingernail and pull up on it. If you
can't get it with your fingernail, you can make
a loop out of small gauge wire and catch it
that way. You should always use rough service
light bulbs in a garage door opener because of
the vibration. An example:

http://tinyurl.com/qehc3o

TDD