Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y
Leonard Caillouet Leonard Caillouet is offline

Default Bit of a con, really ... ?

wrote in message
It does not require a continuous spectrum of light, however it must
have certain wavelengths. It may require a trip to a textbook to
understand it fully, but I will make an attempt.

You have explained nothing about the spectral character of the light that is
used to create a display. You may need to consult a text yourself to get a
better understanding of color science as applied to video. Poynton's text
is a good place to start. Your discussion relates mostly to the choice of
white points. This is one aspect of color reproduction. You are correct in
stating that any color (within the gamut defined by the primaries of a
device) can be made from combinations of three primaries. This is only part
of the story. The way that you mix those primaries to get those
intermediate colors and secondaries has everything to do with the spectrum
that they can create, as well as the assumptions that are made when the
source material is recorded and encoded. To get a good understanding of the
matter, you need to understand the basics of color science, which really
begins with the CIE standards and involves understanding the current
standards for video production and display such as the ITU rec.709 standard
for HD.

However, I suspect there is some actual white enhancement going on in
some LCD units, and as many are aware, the color wheel in a DLP
frequently has more than the three primary colors. I say this because
after observing the display on one of those Zeniths which had a bad
(and removed) blue polarizing filter, it could still reproduce white.

The color of white (gray) has specific colorimetry in the standards for
video. Most manufacturers deviate greatly from these standards and start
with OB settings that contain nearly twice as much blue as the standards
suggest, and this is regardless of the technology. When we calibrate
displays we bring them back to the standards to produce colors more
accurately. In the case of your Zenith example, the filter on the blue was
likely a polarizing filter or a UV filter. If you remove the UV protection,
you will shorten the life of the blue panel dramatically, and if you remove
the polarizer, you will compromise the brightness and black level control.

Red green and blue are defined scientifically as primary colors. I
don't know where those standards came from, nor do I care, but they
are there.

Some people do care, and those are the ones for whom a discussion of correct
color reproduction matters. For the large majority of the public, there is
no reason to buy one of these more expensive LCD sets when they would be
perfectly happy with something priced half or a third the price of these
high end units that have local dimming LED backlighting. For those that
care, the jury is still out on the LCD sets. The are getting close, and are
far better than many lower end PDP, DLP, and CRT based displays. There is
much variation within and between technologies, as with brands.

Leonard