Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Automobiles

on 5/9/2009 12:50 PM (ET) Caesar Romano wrote the following:
On Sat, 09 May 2009 08:40:58 -0400, willshak
wrote Re Automobiles:

on 5/9/2009 8:05 AM (ET) Caesar Romano wrote the following:

On Sat, 09 May 2009 07:00:42 -0400, willshak
wrote Re Automobiles:

I filter the old oil then pour it in my fuel oil tank.

How do you do the filtering? What kind of filter and how do you pump
the oil through the filter?

Cloth. Old T shirt, etc. I use a large funnel with the cloth lining the
inside. Stick the funnel into a plastic fuel tank. Dump the oil into the
funnel and let the oil drain through the cloth lined funnel. It will
slowly drain in the tank and will take some time. Refill the funnel as
necessary.

Ok, the low-tech approach.

I have a neighbor who has been experimenting with recycling used motor
oil through a standard home water filter. The oil comes out as clear
looking as new motor oil. Then he mixes is with diesel fuel for his
tractor. I didn't think to ask him how he pumps it through the filter.
I'll have to do that the next time I see him.

Perhaps an air compressor to push the oil through the filter.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY