Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Automobiles

On May 11, 2:44*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

Where I live, there are HUGE price advantages to buying used. *I
bought a 5-year old, low mileage van for about 20% of what a new van
would cost. *I am now 2 years into it and have just now had must first
repair that wasn't "regular maintenance".

At 5 years old, if it had 20,000 miles or less it may be a good deal, but
most will have over 80,000 miles and a 20% discount is not a good deal. *The
first owner had the warranty and many trouble free miles that the second
owner will not see.

I didn't get a 20% discount. I got an 80% discount. Van had about
65,000 miles. Two years later it now has twice that and just made
first repair to it. The cost to purchase it is about $0.08 per mile,
to date, and dropping. The cost per month, to date, is about $200 and
dropping. Gas cost me something like $0.13 per mile. Insurance costs
about $0.2 per mile. All in all, it cost about $.30 to $.35 per mile.