Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Bit of a con, really ... ?

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And the same will apply to LED backlights. It's a big con that LED are
more efficient - they only are where supplying narrow bandwidth light. As
soon as you try and make them produce continuous spectrum light - ie white
- the efficiency goes way down. Of course they may improve - but then
again so may fluorescent.

You're assuming that the designers use LEDs to create
continuous-spectrum light, and then pixel-filter this down to the
R/G/B pixels.

My understanding is that this is *not* what they're doing. Rather,
I'm told that they use a matrix of individual narrow-emission R/G/B
LEDs, which backlight the R/G/B-filtered LCD pixel "shutters".

With proper selection of the R/G/B LED wavelengths (e.g. pick them
with peak output wavelengths close to the peak-optical-sensitivity
wavelengths of the photopigments in the human retina) you ought to be
able to get very good efficiency.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO