Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Bit of a con, really ... ?

On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:12:08 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

...but is it right to
actually call these "LED TVs" ? Seems like a bit of a deliberately
misleading use of the terminology to me - or is it maybe just me being a
picky grumpy old sod ? d:~)

Sure. You've just been LED astray.
(Sorry, I couldn't resist).

I notice that Samsung's web pile conveniently does NOT mention
anything about the technology used in their Luxia line of TV's.
They've even dropped the Luxia name, preferring to use "LED TV"
instead. My suspicious mind suggests that this seems intentional.
http://www.samsung.com/us/productsubtype/led/

Perhaps it would be helpful to refer to Samsung TV's by their
backlighting. The ordinary LCD panel TV can be known as "CCFL TV".

As for improved efficiency, I'm wondering if that's true. CCFL lamps
belch about 80-100 lumens/watt. Typical white LED's do 10-20
lumens/watt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode#Efficiency_and_operational_paramete rs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp#Luminous_efficacy
To get the same light output, LED's need to about 4-5 times as much
power. If Samsung used the new and recently demonstrated high
efficiency white LED's, at 100 lumens/watt efficiency, they would at
best be equal to the efficiency of CCFL. Unless my arithmetic is
faulty, an common white LED backlit TV would belch MORE heat than a
CCFL backlit TV for the same brightness. In addition, the smaller
physical size (thickness) of the LED backlit TV leaves less area for
ventilation and conductive cooling. Looking back at the
"specifications" pages, on the Samsung web pile, I don't seem to find
a power consumption figure. Oh-oh....

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D