Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fence for Miter saw station?

cbodnar wrote in news:0119214c-e9c3-4d3e-b45c-
:

Anyone using an after market aluminum fence on their miter saw
station? I've seen a few advertised in magazines. I'm going to start
planning mine and wondered if it's better to make my own fence or buy
one? I'd like something that is at least 60" long on either side. I
was thinking with a purchased fence, it would at least be dead on flat
and I wouldn't have to worry about that aspect of the project.

Thanks

Chris

I recently made a miter saw station, complete with pineywood drawers to
hold stuff. The miter saw was placed with the right edge near the
halfway point of the table, so there's 2' on one side of the saw and 4'
on the other.

For repeat cuts, I simply screw a block into the top of the table. I've
got a 4' track, but haven't installed it yet.

I'm still using the fence that came with the saw, and it works well. To
make a cut, just be sure the piece is tight up against the fence and
everything else works itself out. A longer fence is /not/ necessary.

One more tip: build your table so it supports the entire saw capacity.
Mine aligns the front of the saw base with the front of the table, and
that creates problems cutting wider pieces.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking