Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Fence for Miter saw station?

cbodnar wrote:
Anyone using an after market aluminum fence on their miter saw
station? I've seen a few advertised in magazines. I'm going to start
planning mine and wondered if it's better to make my own fence or buy
one? I'd like something that is at least 60" long on either side. I
was thinking with a purchased fence, it would at least be dead on flat
and I wouldn't have to worry about that aspect of the project.

To the first question, "no" personally...

As to the other, I'd ask for what end purpose you're after.

I've never seen the need for an extended fence for the miter saw--an
extended support if not in fixed bench in shop, yes; longer fence
itself, no.

Reason for the above is that at least for me the fence is long enough
for short pieces that have precise needs such as for furniture
mouldings, etc., and for the long pieces such as architectural moulding,
etc., there's sufficient flexibility in the pieces themselves that
getting sufficient accuracy just isn't a problem.(*)

What you're up to and how that fits obviously I don't know...

(*) I do make and use blocks and other fixtures to set proper angles of
things like crown, etc. I just haven't ever found that I needed a fence
of additional length as long as the end wasn't flopping off the end of
the bench.