Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ragno.stefano@gmail.com is offline

Default High voltage safety precautions

On May 6, 7:36 am, 1PW wrote:
On 05/04/2009 04:52 AM, sent:

Hi,

I'm going to do some experimentation on high voltage equipments
( transformers, power supplies, capacitor banks, lasers , etc.. ).

Does anyone know where I could find some safety guidelines or notes
about working with this dangerous stuff ?

( I wouldn't like to die because of a spark jump and make my wife a
widow... )

Thanks

Stef

Hello Stef:

Please define the levels of high voltage you are referring to.

Laser safety is also an entirely different subject. What type & class
laser?

Pete
--
1PW @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@ [r4o7t]

I refer to voltages found for example in CO2 lasers and CRT chassis.

I found a nice page with guidlines: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/safety.htm

Is there a rule for how long a spark can jump, given the voltage and
the dielectric ( tipically air at certain humidity) ?

Furthermore, why should I keep a hand in my poket while around HV ?