Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Nuisance phone calls - how to stop them?

On 2009-05-10, Jules wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2009 08:32:46 +0000, Huge wrote:
After I calmed down, she told me what to ask for so that they never called
me again. Whatever it was, it worked, because they never have (fortunately,
since it saves me the effort of chaging telcos).

I moved countries, which worked equally well

That's a tad drastic.

Heh, well I didn't do it for that reason, obviously ;-) But it's really
nice to be free of idiots such as BT and NTL (or whatever they're calling
themselves this week). Mind you, our current phone/TV/'net provider have
their silly moments* too, so maybe it just goes with the territory (their
customer service is light years ahead of any such company I came across in
the UK, though)

* such as "please call us so we can install fibre up to your house" - when
it's 20 below zero outside and the ground's going to be like concrete
for the next four months :-)

Especially since the only country I'd likely move to
is the USA, where nuisance calls are an absolute nightmare, even with
the Federal "Do Not Call" list.

I've not found it's a problem, TBH. We get maybe a couple of daytime junk
calls a week, which almost never coincide with anyone being in anyway
(and they never leave a message, so other than them being on the
phone's call log there's no impact on us). Oddly enough they're nearly
always from Florida - I remember when the UK was being bombarded with
Florida junk, too (perhaps it still is?).

I think it must be one of those things which varies by area, because I'd
heard the US was supposedly the home of junk calls too, but experience
has been otherwise so far.

cheers

Jules