Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Can a pool robot do the job of a regular filtration system?

On Fri, 8 May 2009 11:27:08 -0700, "scorpster"
wrote:

There's a large concrete swimming pool at my mom's house that needs
refurbishing, and I'd like to help her bring it back into use. Drain the
water, clean out debris, acid wash, ok sounds relatively simple and cheap so
far. Except the part I'm worried about is the filtration system. It is
very old and rusted in the pool room and I doubt it works. So I can better

I'll bet it works, and I'll bet most pool maintenance companies will
eagerly sell you another one anyhow.

The way to tell if it works is to turn it on and check the water that
comes out of it. Age and external rust (even internal rust) don't
mean that something won't last another 20 years. (maybe with some
maintenance or small repairs now and every few years.)

I'd tell whoever comes out that you're not replacing it. You can
always change your mind later.

"visualize the cost" of this project and keep the cost manageable I figure
I'll use a pool cleaning robot instead to suck up leaves and dirt that fall
inside. But can these things do the whole job in a large pool? Can they
keep up with keeping the pool clean without excessive maintenance? What is
considered the best model these days as a filter system replacement?