Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Garden Hose for transfer of K1 Oil ?

"RBM" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
I need to transfer K1 kerosene from my delivery trailer to my tank 50 ft
away. I have priced hoses made for fuels, and a 50 ft length is
$200-300.

Any reason why I cannot us a commercial grade, 3/4 inch hose like the
one
shown in this link ? This hose would be used **only** for this
purpose,
and would be used no more than two times a year.

Any comments or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

James

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8424_200218424

I'm sure it's not the proper thing to use. The fuel probably deteriorates
the hose material. There's probably 20 federal laws prohibiting it's use,
but I've been dumping about 500 gallons of heating oil from an above
ground tank to an underground tank each year for about five years now,
using a cheap garden hose and a gear pump. I just make sure to keep a
close eye out for problems while the transfer is going on

I'm just curious: what kind of 'problems' do you keep an eye out for that
you can actually solve after you visually note them happening?

jc