Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default What to do with stale petrol?

Harry Bloomfield coughed up some electrons that declared:

Alan wrote on 10/05/2009 :
I bough a gallon can of lead-free petrol when there was all that
kerfuffle about fuel prices a few years ago which has sat at the back of
the garage ever since. During a clear out I unearthed it again and now I
need to get rid of it (especially as we've got a diesel these days).
I tried taking it to the council dump but - "we've got no facilities for
handling liquids guv - do you have a lawnmower?" - yes I do but it's
electric :-).

So the question is - will this old petrol be usable in a petrol
lawnmower? If so, I can pas it on to a mate.

They say it goes stale in just a few months, but I have never had a
problem using old petrol stored for lawn mowers or in the bike which
can stand throughout winter. I suppose you could always mix it with
some fresh petrol if there are doubts.

I just broke out the petrol mower that's had a tank of petrol going idle for
6 months. Worked fine. Never understood this "going stale" business...