Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default What to do with stale petrol?

On Sun, 10 May 2009 18:36:21 +0100, Alan wrote:

I bough a gallon can of lead-free petrol when there was all that kerfuffle
about fuel prices a few years ago which has sat at the back of the garage
ever since. During a clear out I unearthed it again and now I need to get
rid of it (especially as we've got a diesel these days).
I tried taking it to the council dump but - "we've got no facilities for
handling liquids guv - do you have a lawnmower?" - yes I do but it's
electric :-).

So the question is - will this old petrol be usable in a petrol lawnmower?
If so, I can pas it on to a mate.

Alan

For such a small amount, just chuck it in the petrol tank when it's three
quarters full. AFAIK stale petrol is just petrol that has had some of the
lighter molecules dissipate to atmosphere. There's nothing actually wrong
with it, it just doesn't burn as well as fresh stuff.

SteveW