Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_5_] Steve Barker[_5_] is offline

Default residential septic system question

John D99 wrote:
I dug out the first access lid (nearest the house), and used a long wood
slat stick to poke down and find the solids layer.
As near as I can tell, there is no solids layer - the stick goes right down
to a hard cement bottom and there's no solids coating on the wood when I
take it out to surface, and the depth I'm reaching below the top of the tank
is about right for the total depth of the tank that's on the diagram.

I'll dig out the outer tank access and check that too, but it looks like
I've saved myself $250.

"John D99" wrote in message
m...
I've got a standard resisdential septic system. It was installed 6 1/2
years ago, I live outisde of Colorado Springs. The diagram I have for the
system shows one holding tank, with a line going out to the leach field.

My question is, if I dig down to the lids on the holding tank, is it
possible to check the solids level to determine if I need the thing pumped
out?

what you felt is normal. The 'sludge' at the bottom will not feel any
different to a stick than the water above it. You cannot check sludge
level that way.