Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new a/c refrigerant?

Supposedly they are phasing out R-22. I'm going to be sad to
see it go. Good stuff, does a nice job. As to the other
blends and such. Time will tell, if any of them work, and if
they will be on the market for a while.

Puron is a brand name for 410a, but you likely knew that
already.

One company I work for, they used 416a. It's a bit cheaper
than 409a. I may try it for my next jug o juice. 409a works
nicely.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
Jean wrote:
I'm in the market to replace my split-system heat pump
A/C. An installer came by today and said that there is a
"new r22" that eliminates the need for the expensive puron
(r410). I googled and couldn't find anything about this
"new r22". Has anyone read anything about it?

Jean

Look for R417a a direct drop in replacement for R22.
There is also R407C, R421a, HC-a22 and a few more.
I haven't used any alternative to R22 yet so I can't
comment on it but I have used R416a in place of R12
and it's doing a good job. I haven't had to install
or service any Puron systems yet but may have to soon.

TDD