Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Heating programmer with remote override

Hi,

I have a number of zones in my house which I am looking to control via
standard central heating programmers. Since they will be located in
the utility room, I am keen to enable the current status to be
overriden by a switch/ button somewhere in the zone (e.g if the
upstairs heating is off and it gets a bit chilly, they can hit the
botton upstairs rather than coming downstairs). The reason for
keeping them all centrally is to enable us to put all zones on without
needing to go to each area.

Does anyone know of a control that allows the override button to be
connected externally? I thought I saw a post from someone who had
done this on this group but despite searching, I can't seem to find
it.

thanks

Lee.

Presumably the over-ride button would turn the appropriate zone on until the
programmer's next scheduled OFF event?

If you can't find anything to do exactly that, you may be able to DIY a
solution which turns it on for (say) one hour - by using something akin to
the sort of staircase light switch used in some blocks of flats, which turns
the lights on when you press it and turns them off again after a set time. I
don't know whether any such switches are capable of being set to a time long
enough to be useful for CH purposes, but there are other timing devices -
like bathroom fan over-run timers - which may possibly do the job.
--
Cheers,
Roger