Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Screws for Squeaking Floor under carpet

on 5/9/2009 8:47 AM (ET) Red Green wrote the following:
aemeijers wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:

Josh wrote in
:

On Fri, 08 May 2009 13:54:09 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Josh wrote in
:

On Fri, 08 May 2009 10:33:49 -0400, nospamplse
wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Reed wrote:

nospamplse wrote:

Have seen TV shows where they cut down squeaking floors under
carpet by using special screws through the carpet and then
break the heads off. Local Home Depot, Lowes & Ace do not carry
these. Anyone know where they can be purchased or the name of a
manufacturer?

Thanks in advance.

here is one ......

http://www.mcfeelys.com/squeaky-floor-repair

And I did purchase something like this at Home Depot a couple
years ago -- if I remember it was over by the flooring materials
rather than with the rest of the screws&nails.

Josh

And how did it work out?

Pretty well -- this was under carpet, so I didn't have to fill any
holes. The kit came with a long screw threaded just at the bottom
to help find joists (drive in 1/2 inch, if you can't move it then
it's in a joist), a three-pointed guide to stop the screws at the
right depth (and help snap the top off), a driver bit to match, and
a pile of the special screws. I had to drive a bunch in a couple of
places to get a warped part of the subfloor down, but most of the
squeeks were eliminated or lessened considerably. Can't see or feel
any of the screw locations.

I see it on HD's website, but it says "Online Only"; may or may not
still be available in some stores:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?sto
re Id=10051&productId=100662995&langId=-1&catalogId=10053

Annoyingly, the HD name is "Squeeeeek No More", so searching for
"squeek" doesn't find it. Idiots...

I do need to go back and add a few more now, thanks for adding this
to my weekend to-do list :-)

Josh

Actually, I found a vid clip from This Old House where they show the
installation.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...045284,00.html

Thank goodness it's Tom Silva doing the demo and not that Sears Whore
Vila.

I've never spent much time on that site- they actually even mention
Vila on there? I would have assumed they would have scrubbed him from
their history, Stalin-style. The repeat cycles around here on the
non-PBS TV channels don't even show the previous host that came after
Vila, and he left on friendly terms.

Steve Thomas, replaced by Kevin O'Conner
Thomas is now promoting 'green' energy and building, and has his own
show, 'Save Our History', on the History channel..

(And I hate how they cut out
stuff to make room for commercials.)

--
aem sends....

(And I hate how they cut out stuff to make room
for commercials.)

Oh but it's an absolute necessity. That's when all the people that know
what their doing come in and do the actually work of task and fix the
f*ups of the show people.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY