Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_2_] Bob Minchin[_2_] is offline

Default Nicotine on the ceiling

Mike wrote:
I have a very smoke laden room to paint. The ceiling is quite brown
all over except above the fireplace where there is a large area where
it is really dark with nicotine ....... you know the sort .... like
where you see an old smoker's fingertips dark and engrained with the
stuff.

I am pretty sure just painting brill white vinyl matt on it will just
loosen it all to give a lovely streaky brown mess.
I have steamed off wallpaper and watched nicotine run down the walls
.. yuk.
Will a good scrub with sugar soap be enough to get rid of it enabling
me to paint ?

Mike P

I've had to deal with the same situation 6 months ago. The nicotine will
have to come off as even if paint will initially mask it, in time it
will bleed through. Three progressive scrubs with sugar soap and
multiple coats of white emulsion seem to have done the trick. It was a
horrible job to undertake.
I've now got a tenant in the property (non smoking!!) so I'll not see
the long term performance until the next inspection but so far so good
and they have not complained about the decor yet!

Good Luck

Bob