Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Ask This Old House - A/C Zoning

RickH wrote:
On May 8, 6:44 am, Edge wrote:
Anyone see the recent Ask This Old House show which featured a new
product for creating zones for forced air systems? It creates room by
room zones by inflating and deflating balloons in the duct work.
Anyone see who makes this product and have any experience with it?

I got this message "We're sorry, MyTemp is currently only available in
the following states: California, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Utah, and
Washington"

I saw that segment- while amusing, it looked awfully Rube Goldberg to
me. And at that price point (especially for somebody that can afford a
13-room house), seems like the traditional solution of splitting the
plenum and installing a second furnace and separate Tstat may not be
much more expensive. I think they did mention that the original HVAC
company stupidly commingled the duct trunks for upstairs and downstairs.
When I was a wee lad and my father built his folly for us to live in, it
had similar problems, and a second furnace was what we ended up with,
but in that case splitting the plenums and returns was trivial due to
the house layout. (This was the first partially multi-level no-attic
flat-roof contemporary he had built, and not having an HVAC engineer on
staff, it was a learning experience for all)

--
aem sends...