Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Can a pool robot do the job of a regular filtration system?

scorpster wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message news:UI%Ml.6806
Installing a real pump and filter isn't that hard or expensive as long
as the plumbing from the pool is okay. If you're good with PVC and
wiring you can do it yourself. Just plan the PVC arrangement so that
the pump is removable/replaceable in the future.

I'm pretty good with DIY basic pipes and electrical, so I'd be inclined
to replace all the rusty pool room equipment rather than worry about the
maintenance even if I could get it to hobble along after flipping the
switch. There's a large heater box with a roof vent (don't need one for
hot California summers), a large cylinder with a pressure gauge which I
remember from childhood always needed a lot of maintenance, I think this
is called the DE filter, and a maze of metal pipes.

The DE filter may just need the earth replaced (there is a better
compound to put in there than DE now). Otherwise, replace it with a
cartridge filter. Be sure that you don't get too small of a cartridge
filter system or you'll be endlessly cleaning it. When we bought our
house it had a Sta-Rite filter with a single cartridge, and I was
cleaning it every few weeks, with the current filter, a Pentair with
four cartridges, once per year is sufficient, and probably with a single
larger cartridge it would have been fine as well.

You need to wire it properly with all the GFI stuff since the pump is
likely 220V. Add an Intermatic mechanical timer.

Probably $600-800 for a filter, $500 for a pump, and another $100 for
plumbing and wiring. You might find some of the stuff on craigslist as
there are a surprising number of people that remove their pools (I got a
pool slide that way), and I've seen other pool equipment for sale as well.

You'll likely need to buy PVC at an irrigation supply house to get the
2", 2.5" or 3" fittings and pipe, the selection at Home Depot is
limited. Not sure where you are, I get my pool PVC stuff in Campbell, CA.

So let's suppose I
just remove all this equipment from the 1950s-70s. Would this filter
room equipment cost me thousands to replace? Does it get very
"technical" to install like for example installing a central air
conditioner? Is the filter room technology much better these days and
less maintenance than it was 30 years ago? The pool dimensions are 18'
x 37' feet and deeper than most pools I've seen.

Sounds like my pool, which was built to accommodate a diving board, and
is about 13' deep in the deep end, which you don't see on new
construction home pools. My pool is about 40,000 gallons.

You might also consider plumbing in a chlorine tablet feeder (don't get
the Hayward) but beware of chlorine tablets because cyanuric acid from
these builds up requiring pool draining to get rid of it. Liquid
chlorine is more hassle but causes less problems.