Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Screws for Squeaking Floor under carpet

Josh wrote in
:

On Fri, 08 May 2009 13:54:09 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Josh wrote in
m:

On Fri, 08 May 2009 10:33:49 -0400, nospamplse
wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Reed wrote:
nospamplse wrote:
Have seen TV shows where they cut down squeaking floors under
carpet by using special screws through the carpet and then break
the heads off. Local Home Depot, Lowes & Ace do not carry these.
Anyone know where they can be purchased or the name of a
manufacturer?

Thanks in advance.

here is one ......

http://www.mcfeelys.com/squeaky-floor-repair

And I did purchase something like this at Home Depot a couple years
ago -- if I remember it was over by the flooring materials rather
than with the rest of the screws&nails.

Josh

And how did it work out?

Pretty well -- this was under carpet, so I didn't have to fill any
holes. The kit came with a long screw threaded just at the bottom to
help find joists (drive in 1/2 inch, if you can't move it then it's in
a joist), a three-pointed guide to stop the screws at the right depth
(and help snap the top off), a driver bit to match, and a pile of the
special screws. I had to drive a bunch in a couple of places to get a
warped part of the subfloor down, but most of the squeeks were
eliminated or lessened considerably. Can't see or feel any of the
screw locations.

I see it on HD's website, but it says "Online Only"; may or may not
still be available in some stores:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...tDisplay?store
Id=10051&productId=100662995&langId=-1&catalogId=10053

Annoyingly, the HD name is "Squeeeeek No More", so searching for
"squeek" doesn't find it. Idiots...

I do need to go back and add a few more now, thanks for adding this to
my weekend to-do list :-)

Josh

Actually, I found a vid clip from This Old House where they show the
installation.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...045284,00.html

Thank goodness it's Tom Silva doing the demo and not that Sears Whore
Vila.