Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Can a pool robot do the job of a regular filtration system?

scorpster wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message news:UI%Ml.6806
Installing a real pump and filter isn't that hard or expensive as
long as the plumbing from the pool is okay. If you're good with PVC
and wiring you can do it yourself. Just plan the PVC arrangement so
that the pump is removable/replaceable in the future.

I'm pretty good with DIY basic pipes and electrical, so I'd be
inclined to replace all the rusty pool room equipment rather than
worry about the maintenance even if I could get it to hobble along
after flipping the switch. There's a large heater box with a roof
vent (don't need one for hot California summers), a large cylinder
with a pressure gauge which I remember from childhood always needed a
lot of maintenance, I think this is called the DE filter, and a maze
of metal pipes. So let's suppose I just remove all this equipment
from the 1950s-70s. Would this filter room equipment cost me
thousands to replace? Does it get very "technical" to install like
for example installing a central air conditioner? Is the filter room
technology much better these days and less maintenance than it was 30
years ago? The pool dimensions are 18' x 37' feet and deeper than
most pools I've seen.

I would definately verify that the equipment is faulty before replacing it. It
would probably be worth paying someone to do this if you can't figure it out
yourself, just on the chance that the equipment just needs cleaning to work
right.

By the way, I always assumed that the pool robots just ran off the pool filter
suction, and that they wouldn't function on their own. (I own a spa, not a pool,
so I've never used one)