Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Can a pool robot do the job of a regular filtration system?

"scorpster" wrote in message
There's a large concrete swimming pool at my mom's house that needs
refurbishing, and I'd like to help her bring it back into use. Drain the
water, clean out debris, acid wash, ok sounds relatively simple and cheap
so far. Except the part I'm worried about is the filtration system. It
is very old and rusted in the pool room and I doubt it works. So I can
better "visualize the cost" of this project and keep the cost manageable I
figure I'll use a pool cleaning robot instead to suck up leaves and dirt
that fall inside. But can these things do the whole job in a large pool?
Can they keep up with keeping the pool clean without excessive
maintenance? What is considered the best model these days as a filter
system replacement?

I have a large pool, and I have a Hayward robot. I love it. I can throw it
in the pool, and come back in a couple of hours and it's clean, save for a
little work with the rolling vacuum head. Your question seems to ask about
robots AND filtration systems. I do not understand your last question at
all. There is no model that is a filter system replacement.

If you do select a robot, be sure to get a leaf canister so that the leaves
and gook big enough to be screened out are captured, and don't even make it
to the filter.

Everyone has their preferences, and I love my Hayward. It lasted four years
until a rebuild, and with the ball bearing high grade rebuild, it will last
at least five now. The hoses get cracked, and are a constant replacement,
but you can get them cheap at ebay or yard sales.

Again, don't confuse robots and pool filtration equipment. With both, a
pool needs a lot of care, almost daily, or it will get so far ahead of you,
it takes weeks and $$$ to get even again.

BTDT

Steve