Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Can a pool robot do the job of a regular filtration system?

On Fri, 8 May 2009 13:03:50 -0700, "scorpster"
wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message news:UI%Ml.6806
Installing a real pump and filter isn't that hard or expensive as long as
the plumbing from the pool is okay. If you're good with PVC and wiring you
can do it yourself. Just plan the PVC arrangement so that the pump is
removable/replaceable in the future.

I'm pretty good with DIY basic pipes and electrical, so I'd be inclined to
replace all the rusty pool room equipment rather than worry about the
maintenance even if I could get it to hobble along after flipping the
switch. There's a large heater box with a roof vent (don't need one for hot
California summers), a large cylinder with a pressure gauge which I remember
from childhood always needed a lot of maintenance, I think this is called
the DE filter, and a maze of metal pipes. So let's suppose I just remove
all this equipment from the 1950s-70s. Would this filter room equipment
cost me thousands to replace? Does it get very "technical" to install like
for example installing a central air conditioner? Is the filter room
technology much better these days and less maintenance than it was 30 years
ago? The pool dimensions are 18' x 37' feet and deeper than most pools I've
seen.

Leslie's pool store was mentioned. My local store has "mock-ups" of
pool filter systems. Find the gallons of water in the pool (figuring
the depth also). The web has calculators , but I don't have one in a
link.

IIRC, the install was free but just ask them. CA has 137 Leslie's
stores.

http://leslies.know-where.com/leslies/