Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default Can a pool robot do the job of a regular filtration system?

On May 8, 1:03*pm, "scorpster" wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message news:UI%Ml.6806
Installing a real pump and filter isn't that hard or expensive as long as
the plumbing from the pool is okay. If you're good with PVC and wiring you
can do it yourself. Just plan the PVC arrangement so that the pump is
removable/replaceable in the future.

I'm pretty good with DIY basic pipes and electrical, so I'd be inclined to
replace all the rusty pool room equipment rather than worry about the
maintenance even if I could get it to hobble along after flipping the
switch. *There's a large heater box with a roof vent (don't need one for hot
California summers), a large cylinder with a pressure gauge which I remember
from childhood always needed a lot of maintenance, I think this is called
the DE filter, and a maze of metal pipes. *So let's suppose I just remove
all this equipment from the 1950s-70s. *Would this filter room equipment
cost me thousands to replace? *Does it get very "technical" to install like
for example installing a central air conditioner? *Is the filter room
technology much better these days and less maintenance than it was 30 years
ago? *The pool dimensions are 18' x 37' feet and deeper than most pools I've
seen.

I guess you didnt get stuck doing pool maint as a kid, like I did.

I would suggest calling a pool service & telling what your situation
is. Some of the better ones could easily give you a very good idea of
the costs involved.

Mercifully, I sold my old 1950's/1960's house (the OC) with a pool
before I had to pop for all new pump & DE filter.

I owned the house for ~15 years and had the same pool guy all that
time. I had the pool re-plastered & re-tiled but kept the coping &
deck. When the original DE filter started to leak, my pool guy had
a used unit that another customer had replaced with new. He installed
it for me at a small fraction of a new unit and I sold the house a few
years later.

My guess is that your pump & motor are probably fine and hopefully all
the plumbing....if anything your just need a new DE unit.

Filters are sized based pool volume.....looks like oyurs is in the 20
to 25k gallons.

Since you're stuck with the pipe sizes......IF oyu need a new pump, it
has to be happy with the existing plumbing. Once oyu have a pump size
oyu can choose a filter size.

If the original pump & filter arrangement kept the pool adequately
clean, then thats a good starting point. Depending on the age of the
equipment, the pump & filter might be undersized by today;s specs.

When we had my parents pool filter system replaced the pump & filter
were both upsized about 50%. The old system worked fine as did the
new one....we just minimized pump time consistent with a clean (low
usage) pool.

If you;re in central OC (Tustin or Orange) I can recommend my former
pool guy.

cheers
Bob