Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wes[_4_] Wes[_4_] is offline

Default High voltage safety precautions

On May 7, 8:56*am, Bob Larter wrote:
My classic screwup was a time, as a smartarse teenager, when I was
working on a 28" display monitor, & /thought/ I'd discharged the CRT
correctly via the ultor cap. I lifted the ultor cap to unhook it, & a
giant spark bit me. The shock threw me clear across the room, & I just
missed slamming into a bench.

Mine was moving the meter probe tips slightly while looking over at
the meter. Diodes explode into many fast moving pieces, and melt your
probe tips. Wear a full face shield, not just goggles, and a heavy
duty full sleeve lab coat. Remove watches, rings, necklaces, etc. If
you don't want a spark to hit it, don't put metal on it.