Posted to rec.woodworking
sweet sawdust sweet sawdust is offline

Default OT Kid's project

Spent a couple of nights this week helping my small child (6' 2" senior in
high school) build a motorized turn table using a blender for the power
source for an engineering class. As we worked on the project I kept
thinking that if he had brought it to me 8 weeks ago how much better I could
have made it. How I could have changed the motor type and used a speed
control, or how I could have built in reduction gears to slow it down. No
he had drawn up the plans and all he needed from me was help in building a
case and changing the drive on the blender to work with the shaft of the
turn table. I did get to design a cotter key to keep the turntable from
flying off the motor but that was about it. I new that he would fail
because I didn't have enough input into the final project. Grade came in to
day, 100 out of 100 points. Made me feel very humble and very proud of him,
he is growing up too fast.