Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default High voltage safety precautions

Mark Zacharias wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Not like that. The HV I worked with wasn't measured in micro amps.
It was inside the TV transmitter. One touch, and you're dead. Think
what a HV DC power supply for three 65 KW Klystrons would do to you,
when the power supply put out a continuous 195 KW. In fact, you
wouldn't even need to touch it.

Scares the crap out of me just thinking about it! I've only ever worked
consumer electronics, never had any training on high voltage / high
frequency power circuits.

I once got shocked by a GE 35" tv by only getting near the anode wire. The
wire had cracks in it, and I didn't know until it was too late. Felt like it
took my arm off!

More than once grazed some skin across 120 volts AC whilst working on
equipment; never got much more than a "Huh? What was that? Oh, crap. Gotta
be more careful..."

That is why there are so many safety interlocks in big transmitters.
I was moving a RCA TTU-25B transmitter about 15 years ago, and found a
small screwdriver jammed in one of the interlock switches. Luckily, the
highest voltage in that cabinet was around 350 volts DC, but several of
the other cabinets had 7000 VDC for the two water cooled power
tetrodes. The transmitter was in nine, four foot square aluminum
cabinets that were about seven feet tall. There were two, two foot wide
sections that held the special rubber pipe that isolated the HV from
ground. That made the entire transmitter 4 feet deep, 40 feet wide and
seven feet tall.