Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Compressors - drain every day or leave pressured?

On May 8, 9:50*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On May 8, 6:35 am, Mike wrote:

I see no justification to subject the tank unnecessarily through
inflation/deflation cycles.
I'm reasonably certain that by 'draining' they mean the water from the
bottom of the tank. Always a good habit.
Buy a fitting which will allow you to attach a swaged line (think
brake line from the auto parts store) and run it up along the side to
the top of the tank where it is easily accessible. Install a ball
valve (as per Leon) up there. If you want to get fancy, attach a small
swan neck to the ball-valve so you can conveniently catch the water as
it comes out.

I have kicked around the idea of making the valve a bit more accessible but
I think you are going to have to have a high volume release to persuade
water to go up a line and out. *If you simply let the air trickle the water
is probably not going to be completely drained once the bottom of the tank
is empty, I suspect that the vertical line would retain water.

The air pressure will push any water up the line at tank-pressure
until all the water is blown out. .
I kept a 10 HP Webster drained like that for 20 years.
The drain *is* at the bottom of the tank, the valve isn't.
If you use an automotive brake line, it will clear all the water out.
The vertical line will blow itself clear when you open the valve.